Ewong De Gu Shi

The trials and turbu...tribu..t..happenings of Yvonne. the ups the downs the left right centers

Sunday, December 14, 2008

ViVa La Vida*
(*Long Live Life)

i am so hooked on this song by Coldplay right now.
heard it on radio a few days ago and the tune caught me.

this morning i had an urge to search for it on youtube and get the lyrics and all.
I am even more impressed with the song now.

"the lyrics are very good", i told Bro.
"why good?"
"because i don't understand it"

I played it over and over while on the way to NUH.
and i felt genuine compassion and sadness for the terorrists.

they lyrics had lots of biblical references to it,
it's a very clever song.
and while some sources on the internet say it's abt the French revolution,
i don't know crap abt French revolution so i didn't interpret it that way.

I saw it as a song sang from a point of view of a terrorist.
how they felt like messiahs for doing what they do.
kill and be killed for the sake of religion.

but then
"for some reason i can't explain,
i know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
and that was when i ruled the world"

it must be so terrible,
to feel so passionately abt something,
and then realise, too late, that you got it all wrong.

--------------------------------




Here are the lyrics. Italics my intepretation of biblical references.

I used to rule the world - Jesus was the King
Seas would rise when I gave the word - exodus. moses parted the red sea
Now in the morning I sweep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice - Einstein "God doesn't play dice"
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!" - Jesus was the new Messiah

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand - Bible reference: build your foundation on rock, not sand

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
Once you go there was never,
never an honest word
That was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate - John the baptist was beheaded
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?

I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world

(Ohhhhh Ohhh Ohhh)I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world
Oooooh Oooooh Oooooh

------------------------------------------


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home