The Real Taboo
"Hey Lu, do you have Taboo?" I asked Lu from the back seat of her bf's car.
Lu turned and stared at me, horrified.
"What? what did i do?" I asked.
"Did you just ask me for a tampon?"
"TABOOOOOO. The card game."
"Phew. I thought why you suddenly asked for a tampon. In front of my boyfren and in his car!"
----------------------------------------
Just met up with the girls at weips' house party.
In there is a lawyer who wants to work with horses, a kitchen ware business owner, a baking ingredients business owner and a marine biologist. (And of course Lu works in E-Sega. haha)
"Marine biologist?" someone asked, "that's the kind of occupation you only get to hear on TV!"
"yea," miss marine biologist replied, "i study the sea grass in bintan. the pple there keep asking me whether this is actually a real job, since i just walk around with sea grass all day."
---------------------------------------------------
Emcee Dressup Masak Masak
On Sat I had my very first emcee gig!
It was overall really fun and i think it went quite well although as usual, it can definitely get better with more practice.
I'm not big on dressing up and conveniently appointed Reenz my image consultant.
Whenever Ling the organiser wanted to discuss dress code with me, I'd be like "go talk to Reenz".
machiam super diva.
Reenz was telling me the group was discussing what to wear for the dinner and G didn't know what the big fuss was abt.
"I totally agree with G. I can't even be bothered with dressing up as emcee, do you think i'd dress up as a guest?"
"YOU'd better dress properly. You're the emcee! everyone's looking at you the whole night!"
She was gonna make me wear a white puffy dress until everyone saw the pic and decided it's definitely not me.
"Are you comfy with the dress?" she called and asked.
"well....these are all costumes to me. i'll wear whatever you guys want me to wear." I replied nonchalently.
And so on a thurs evening,
Ling, Reenz and I holed up in a hotel ballroom toilet in town to get the dressing done.
It was actually really really fun.
they kept giving me dresses and clothes to change while they looked at me like i was a mannequin.
At one point they got me to change into LJ's dress.
"Eh stuck!" I yelped.
"haha, LJ's a size S that's why" Ling replied. "Come out, we'll squeeze you into the dress."
"Cannot, stuck!"
"Come out, we'll pull the dress off you!" Reenz laughed. "Don't tear it!"
"Wait wait, if i wiggle more i can get it off. No more LJ's dresses!"
On Sat even more stuff was in store for me.
LJ, the other image consultant of the event,
gave me a belt with some happy logo thing stuck on it which she couldn't untangle out and gave up,
a pair of stilt-like heels I was precariously balancing on,
sexy stockings with revealing prints all over,
and finally plastering makeup on me while reenz curled my hair.
LJ came up to me after the event.
"Did you pull your skirt up? it's much shorter than when i did it for you before the event. The short skirt looks great! it went well! i was looking at your legs the whole time."
"Oh it's shorter?" I looked at her in surprise. "I think i went to the toilet just now and didn't pull it down to the original position i guess."
Overall the dressing up bit was fun.
i'm still not big on it,
but i find it funny how they were all working on me like an empty canvas.
--------------------------------------------------
The Art of Emcee-ing
Emcee-ing is a different ball game from anything else i've tried so far.
the longest time i've had on stage ever are 30 minute slots.
and now it's a solid 3 hours on stage.
3 non-stop hours of being energetic and high!
somewhere in the middle while resting backstage and waiting for the 15 min performance to be over,
i sensed my energy level dropping.
it's like those energy bars you see on computer games,
my bars are decreasing out.
and it didn't help that those heels were killing me.
So i was sitting down with a red alert in my head until a tiny voice screamed
"you're the emcee! you can't have low energy! you'll bring the show down!"
and all those times busking at clarke quay, where the size of your audience fluctuates with the performer's energy level, started coming back.
along with the satisfying memories of shows well done, even though they were super tiring.
"ok i'll KO after this, but not now. Not now." i whispered quietly, took a deep breath, stood up and got back on stage.
For the emcees out there who get paid a lot for these gigs, you deserve the fee man.
----------------------------------------------
Working with Mr P was quite an experience too.
Something i definitely picked up last night was understanding your partner on stage.
It was both our first times emceeing,
and in the beginning we didn't completely gel.
but as the night went on we started understanding each other's body language a lot more.
I thought we ended the night superbly,
as we accidentally stumbled upon the art of on-stage chemistry.
At the end I was ready to say the closing lines and end the night,
but Mr P was at his spontaneous best,
egging the audience on to sabo him.
I was worried that the ending would drag too long and be an anti-climax,
but he was high and the audience was excited,
so ending it now would be a spoilsport.
So i stood back and let him play on until the moment when i could tell from his body language that he was starting to get lost in his spontaneity,
and that was when i stepped in and ended the night.
the timing was just right i thought,
it was a good spontaneous high ending without being too draggy.
super cool.
i'm more excited abt discovering this part to emcee-ing than how we accidentally ended well.
---------------------------------------
now time to rest my aching legs and on to the next adventure!
"Hey Lu, do you have Taboo?" I asked Lu from the back seat of her bf's car.
Lu turned and stared at me, horrified.
"What? what did i do?" I asked.
"Did you just ask me for a tampon?"
"TABOOOOOO. The card game."
"Phew. I thought why you suddenly asked for a tampon. In front of my boyfren and in his car!"
----------------------------------------
Just met up with the girls at weips' house party.
In there is a lawyer who wants to work with horses, a kitchen ware business owner, a baking ingredients business owner and a marine biologist. (And of course Lu works in E-Sega. haha)
"Marine biologist?" someone asked, "that's the kind of occupation you only get to hear on TV!"
"yea," miss marine biologist replied, "i study the sea grass in bintan. the pple there keep asking me whether this is actually a real job, since i just walk around with sea grass all day."
---------------------------------------------------
Emcee Dressup Masak Masak
On Sat I had my very first emcee gig!
It was overall really fun and i think it went quite well although as usual, it can definitely get better with more practice.
I'm not big on dressing up and conveniently appointed Reenz my image consultant.
Whenever Ling the organiser wanted to discuss dress code with me, I'd be like "go talk to Reenz".
machiam super diva.
Reenz was telling me the group was discussing what to wear for the dinner and G didn't know what the big fuss was abt.
"I totally agree with G. I can't even be bothered with dressing up as emcee, do you think i'd dress up as a guest?"
"YOU'd better dress properly. You're the emcee! everyone's looking at you the whole night!"
She was gonna make me wear a white puffy dress until everyone saw the pic and decided it's definitely not me.
"Are you comfy with the dress?" she called and asked.
"well....these are all costumes to me. i'll wear whatever you guys want me to wear." I replied nonchalently.
And so on a thurs evening,
Ling, Reenz and I holed up in a hotel ballroom toilet in town to get the dressing done.
It was actually really really fun.
they kept giving me dresses and clothes to change while they looked at me like i was a mannequin.
At one point they got me to change into LJ's dress.
"Eh stuck!" I yelped.
"haha, LJ's a size S that's why" Ling replied. "Come out, we'll squeeze you into the dress."
"Cannot, stuck!"
"Come out, we'll pull the dress off you!" Reenz laughed. "Don't tear it!"
"Wait wait, if i wiggle more i can get it off. No more LJ's dresses!"
On Sat even more stuff was in store for me.
LJ, the other image consultant of the event,
gave me a belt with some happy logo thing stuck on it which she couldn't untangle out and gave up,
a pair of stilt-like heels I was precariously balancing on,
sexy stockings with revealing prints all over,
and finally plastering makeup on me while reenz curled my hair.
LJ came up to me after the event.
"Did you pull your skirt up? it's much shorter than when i did it for you before the event. The short skirt looks great! it went well! i was looking at your legs the whole time."
"Oh it's shorter?" I looked at her in surprise. "I think i went to the toilet just now and didn't pull it down to the original position i guess."
Overall the dressing up bit was fun.
i'm still not big on it,
but i find it funny how they were all working on me like an empty canvas.
--------------------------------------------------
The Art of Emcee-ing
Emcee-ing is a different ball game from anything else i've tried so far.
the longest time i've had on stage ever are 30 minute slots.
and now it's a solid 3 hours on stage.
3 non-stop hours of being energetic and high!
somewhere in the middle while resting backstage and waiting for the 15 min performance to be over,
i sensed my energy level dropping.
it's like those energy bars you see on computer games,
my bars are decreasing out.
and it didn't help that those heels were killing me.
So i was sitting down with a red alert in my head until a tiny voice screamed
"you're the emcee! you can't have low energy! you'll bring the show down!"
and all those times busking at clarke quay, where the size of your audience fluctuates with the performer's energy level, started coming back.
along with the satisfying memories of shows well done, even though they were super tiring.
"ok i'll KO after this, but not now. Not now." i whispered quietly, took a deep breath, stood up and got back on stage.
For the emcees out there who get paid a lot for these gigs, you deserve the fee man.
----------------------------------------------
Working with Mr P was quite an experience too.
Something i definitely picked up last night was understanding your partner on stage.
It was both our first times emceeing,
and in the beginning we didn't completely gel.
but as the night went on we started understanding each other's body language a lot more.
I thought we ended the night superbly,
as we accidentally stumbled upon the art of on-stage chemistry.
At the end I was ready to say the closing lines and end the night,
but Mr P was at his spontaneous best,
egging the audience on to sabo him.
I was worried that the ending would drag too long and be an anti-climax,
but he was high and the audience was excited,
so ending it now would be a spoilsport.
So i stood back and let him play on until the moment when i could tell from his body language that he was starting to get lost in his spontaneity,
and that was when i stepped in and ended the night.
the timing was just right i thought,
it was a good spontaneous high ending without being too draggy.
super cool.
i'm more excited abt discovering this part to emcee-ing than how we accidentally ended well.
---------------------------------------
now time to rest my aching legs and on to the next adventure!

3 Comments:
At 3:44 PM,
Anonymous said…
anyung ahseiyo.... hhhahaa.. tot u doze off once u reached home on that night?
At 8:12 PM,
Anonymous said…
heh..i did. this post was first saved on fri night/sat morning 2am..and i continued writing on sun
At 5:18 PM,
Anonymous said…
hahaa :)
Post a Comment
<< Home