Ewong De Gu Shi

The trials and turbu...tribu..t..happenings of Yvonne. the ups the downs the left right centers

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Words...not mine.

one thing led to another and suddenly i stumbled upon these....

---------------------
From http://gweeb.pitas.com/novdec03.html:

anyway what i had intended to say was that i felt very proud when i read the beatrice chia interview on the papers today and that i aspire to be like her [minus the kinky part] and that i like mrs carmee lim cos she's quite old but still so feisty and that i think the current rgs girls are becoming deborahtan-ish and no offence to her but i think she's dull and so all the rg girls are becoming girl versions of ri guys and that even tho carmee lim sometimes implements wacky ideas that hold no purpose i say thats fine cos she's got the clout to attract sponsors so i dont mind all that fanfare afterall.. oh ya and that if i had a daughter i'd send her to rgs cos it's sucha fine school [really!] but i hope by then some of the more dynamic teachers like sandy leow or edna tan would have risen the ranks but if i had a boy i wouldnt send him to ri cos....
---------------------------------------------------
From
http://papayagirl1982.blogspot.com/2003_11_01_papayagirl1982_archive.html

now, i'm an rgs girl. that much is obvious to anyone who has ever met a bunch of rgs girls as a base for comparison. random strangers off the street go 'you went to Raffles, didn't you' moments after they hear me open my mouth for the first time. in fact, i couldn't imagine where else i would like to send my daughters [i must be a disappointment to my mother, who is a st. nicholas girl through and through, and would have liked her only daughter to have been one too!] than my own alma mater, because of the education she will receive and the kind of -you can make the world a better place- attitude that we seem to come out of secondary school with. Filiae Melioris Aevi indeed. perhaps it was all carmee's influence, who knows.

i object to Chua Mui Hoong's implication that an RGS education is all about getting good
grades. i certainly didn't come through with an impeccable report book, and i know lots of my friends didn't either. we spent countless hours in choir rehearsals and debate meetings; and almost as many hours lounging in a macs on orchard road eating fries and BBQ-sauce and blabbering about our favourite books --which had nothing to do with school AT ALL. in fact, we went to the library tons of times together - to get favourite fiction authors out of the library -- and i can't remember the last time i got a work-related book out of the rgs library. it was all about the terry pratchetts and the orson scott cards i couldn't bring myself to buy because i was a poor secondary school student then. =)

ooh, and who can forget sitting in the HD at the Mariott trying to decide what delicious
confection to try next?

i loved my time in RGS, and i really like the kind of person it has made me. and my best friends. of course, i'm biased -- i am a big fan of my own kind, i guess --birds of a feather flock together and all that jazz. but on the whole i think i prefer being an articulate -well most of the time-, semi-intelligent, competitive and argumentative person who nitpicks about the meanings of words rather than be imprecise. i guess i've been fortunate in going to various schools that have been able to pick out and shape the best bits of the academic, intellectual me, while giving me various people who have shaped the emotional, human me.

i guess that really is what i want to pass on to my daughter -if one day i have a daughter, who knows i might have all boys, the horror-: the entire experience of an education that has made the most of the raw material that was kind of just sitting there behind my eyes the entire time. but as a start i think i would like to send her off to rgs, assuming that it hasn't turned into a pressurecooker, academics-only focused school ...in which case i will pack her off to SCGS so that she can at least 'marry well', to quote Chua Mui Hoong!
-----------------------------------------
From
http://yitkaleidoscope.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_yitkaleidoscope_archive.html

The class of 2002 directory was lying innocently at the bottom of the pile when I finally took notice of it. I flipped it open and found this on the first page. "To produce leaders of distinction and dignity, committed to life-long learning, living meaningful lives and serving society." I'm sure all of us will strive to live up to the school's mission. The first time then principal, the very well-loved Mrs. Carmee Lim mentioned it to us I thought it sounded far-fetched, almost snobbish. But the portals of RGS really do magical things to you. I teared a little just now, the feeling of nostalgia hit me real bad. I realised all these while, I haven't moved on. I am still very much part of my alma mater.
---------------------------------------------
From
www.livejournal.com/~thelastvestiges/

That’s sad. I’ll miss RGS so much more than I care to admit. Will definitely go back and visit. The teachers who touched my life, the friendships I forged, the moments of class spirit when competition didn’t cloud our already inadequate visions… Definitely the teachers rank first. I’ve had some great teachers who have not only taught, but also inspired. Their concern is palpable, and I definitely respect a few for their professionalism and their impartiality. I’ll always remember the closeness of the student-teacher dynamic in RGS. I’ll miss them so much, but there shall be no dedications, because I’ve written and said all I want to say to them already, though I doubt that’s hardly ever going to be enough to express my immense gratitude and love for them. They’ll always have a special place in my heart, for being teachers and much more.
-------------------------------------

Thoughts so eloquently expressed and feelings so equally shared. I especially like

"because of the education she will receive and the kind of -you can make the world a better place- attitude that we seem to come out of secondary school with. Filiae Melioris Aevi indeed. perhaps it was all carmee's influence, who knows."

and

"The first time then principal, the very well-loved Mrs. Carmee Lim mentioned it to us I thought it sounded far-fetched, almost snobbish. But the portals of RGS really do magical things to you. I teared a little just now, the feeling of nostalgia hit me real bad. I realised all these while, I haven't moved on. I am still very much part of my alma mater. "

i have moved on by the way..especially now that the school is under a different management and a different philosophy, i imagine. but i'm still very much nostalgic and thankful for what i had then and it's great to know and read about others out there.

it may all very well have been the carmee lim effect. maybe the school personnified her vision, passion and enthusiasm. she has plenty to be proud of, influencing the thoughts of so many and leaving her legacy behind.

i've been really moody the last couple of days. i almost wish there is no choice. and maybe there isn't. my head says one thing and my heart says i'm an idiot. master archer pissed me off BIG time. pple can be unbelievably blind. They should start teaching "Human Relations" in school and that's all you'll ever need an A for.

i really don't know what i want....not now, not ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home