Ewong De Gu Shi

The trials and turbu...tribu..t..happenings of Yvonne. the ups the downs the left right centers

Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Daffodil Laments

The new year has come and gone.
it was a bittersweet one.
:)
Some things are coming nicely,
some things not so.
And with every setback i trust that i'll get renewed strength.

i was at a really weird countdown party, with 1970s entertainment.
They invited the Talentime winner of 1969 (!!!???),
and the other guest singer is a group called Thunderbirds.

I have no idea who the Thunderbirds are,
they were probably famous before i was even borned.

The emcee proudly called them "lei gong jiao",
oblivious to how bad the phrase sounded.
And after lei gong jiao ended,
she sang a birthday song for a certain caucasian guest Mr Kork.

I swear she wasn't doing it on purpose.

"First lei gong jiao, now ang moh jiao", i heard someone say.

----------------------------------------------

I went to find my sea god again.
should have been wiser than to go on a public holiday.

it was hard to find a lone quiet spot,
another glaring reminder that singapore is 2 million pple away from sinking.

i compromised and found a spot behind 2 tents.
they vibrated every once in a while,
making me wonder whether there were any thunderbird activities going on inside.

----------------------------------------------

i'm suddenly hooked onto the Cranberries.
Specifically, the song "Daffodil Lament".

it's a strange song that breaks the normal structure of songs.
there is no stanza and no chorus,
and the more i listen to it, the more it sounds like drama in musical form.
the melody follows the lyrics which reflect the mood/story.

I have decided to leave you forever
I have decided to start things from here
Thunder and lightning won’t change
What I’m feeling

And the daffodils look lovely today

Ol in your eyes I can see the disguise
Ol in your eyes I can see the dismay
Has anyone seen lightning
Has anyone looked lovely

And the daffodils looked lovely today
Looked lovely

The tune of the solo guitar that picks up at 3.20 is classic.
i let the song play in the background late one night and the tune froze me.
i stopped what i was doing and just listened.
it sounded beautiful in the silence of the late night.

I never forgot how i felt that night.
Perhaps the reason why i'm hooked onto it now.
Ah, the taste of melancholy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home